Ford News Check here for all your Ford news & Mustang articles.

Buying A 2012 Boss 302 Mustang Will Be Challenging

Old 09-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Retired Admin

Buying A 2012 Boss 302 Mustang Will Be Challenging

Here we go again .... SNAKEBITE, 1LOW03GT, you guys are gonna blow a gasket.

If you are seriously thinking about getting yourself one of the new 2012 Boss 302 Mustangs next year, you had better already be in contact with your local dealers. And if you want the ultra limited Laguna Seca edition Boss 302, you had better be ready to do some serious horsetrading.

According to a recent memo released to Ford dealers, the new Boss 302 production will not only be limited, but cars will be allocated to dealers using a scoring system and a lottery system. This means that only the top sales performing dealerships will be getting many of the cars. Lower tier dealers in small towns or those who don’t sell many Mustangs may not be getting any at all.

The memo outlines that Ford dealers will have to “earn” the opportunity to buy the 2012 Boss 302 Mustang from the factory. Two methods are outlined to decide what dealerships will get how many of the highly sought after cars.

The first method is “share of nation”, of which 75% of Boss 302 production will be distributed. Dealerships on the list that sell a high amount of Mustangs, listed as 75% of the nation will be given at least one Boss 302. Any additional allocations will be based on actual sales numbers. This means if they are on the list of dealers selling 75% of Mustangs, they get one. If they really move them they may get the opportunity to get additional units.

The second method of allocation is a straight up “lottery” to which the remaining 25% of production will be allocated.. Dealerships not included in the top tier 75% of nations sales for Mustangs, will each get one chip for being a dealer and one chip for each Mustang they have sold in the past year. Because there are more dealers than 2012 Boss 302’s to be allocated in the lottery, not all dealers will get one. These dealers can only get one of them through the lottery.

The Laguna Seca Edition Boss 302’s will be allocated in a second lottery only allocation program, meaning that most dealerships will only be getting one, if they get one at all.

What this means to potential buyers out there is that like the GT-500 back in 2007, the 2012 Boss 302 Mustang will be going to the highest bidders. With dealerships in most cases only getting one, two or three of the cars for 2012 if they get one at all, they will be holding the hostage with huge mark ups. Count on it.

If you want one bad enough, you need to contact your dealership now and get in line. Secondly, you better be stacking up some cash because it isn’t likely anyone will be selling them at MSRP.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:16 PM
I am the post KING

I think I will keep mine as it is paid for and I have way to many hours into cleaning her. I thought about the Boss but I do not want to be raped as I would have been in 07 with the gt500 purchase. I truly wonder if they will keep production down in the years to come?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Well isn't that a load of crock!I guess it's a good thing i don't need the next best thing LOL!
Old 09-07-2010, 10:58 PM

This sounds like a U.S thing. We have not recieved any bulletins regarding these cars. Normally what happens in Canada is almost every dealer gets one and then the rest get divided between bigger dealers that sell more Mustangs. This is the way they did it with the Bullitts, Mach 1, early Harley F150, Marauder, Thunderbird, Foose truck, etc. I'm sure there still will be big dealer mark ups though.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:33 AM
Adminut

Bullshit, pure and simple. If Ford wants to make a ton of cash, they should up production so that any working Joe can walk into the dealership and buy one without handing over thier first born. (Although in some cases, that may not be such a bad deal!! lol) That sort of gouging by dealers really boils my blood - can't blame them for wanting to make a buck on the other hand, but there's gotta be a better way.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:49 AM
I am the post KING

Unfortunately it boils down to production numbers-less is more, for them of coarse.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Adminut

Understand that totally, but doesn't make it less frustrating. What's even more frustrating is that there will be lots of guys lining up with thier wallets open, more than happy to shell out the cash. Then again, if I could do it and get one, I probably would , but that ain't gonna happen any time soon by the sound of it.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Retired Admin

Yea I read that and just shook my head. Yet ANOTHER Mustang the average guy CAN'T afford. Mustang is supposed to be BANG FOR YOUR BUCK!!! You know what the Laguna Seca Edition Boss 302 should be .... a race ready Boss 302. Forgo the leather seats, the air conditioning, the back seats, even the radio for all I care. The Laguna Seca Edition Boss 302 should be a cheap, high power, muscle car available to the average guy at an awesome price. A stripped down race car available to the public - ready for the street or the strip. I'd buy one in a heartbeat!
Old 09-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Adminut

Originally Posted by VAEM
Yea I read that and just shook my head. Yet ANOTHER Mustang the average guy CAN'T afford. Mustang is supposed to be BANG FOR YOUR BUCK!!! You know what the Laguna Seca Edition Boss 302 should be .... a race ready Boss 302. Forgo the leather seats, the air conditioning, the back seats, even the radio for all I care. The Laguna Seca Edition Boss 302 should be a cheap, high power, muscle car available to the average guy at an awesome price. A stripped down race car available to the public - ready for the street or the strip. I'd buy one in a heartbeat!
AMEN TO THAT BROTHER!!! Praise Jesus and pass the ammunition, that's what I'm talking about. Nicely put.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Retired Admin

Originally Posted by Apocalypse Pony
AMEN TO THAT BROTHER!!! Praise Jesus and pass the ammunition, that's what I'm talking about. Nicely put.
LMFAO You're on fire lately!

Quick Reply: Buying A 2012 Boss 302 Mustang Will Be Challenging