Mustang Drivetrain Ford Mustang clutches, transmissions, flywheels, shocks & more. Discuss how to repair these items and which performance parts to add to your Mustang.

New rear calipers really $200?

Old 08-26-2008, 08:14 PM
CMOC Addict

New rear calipers really $200?

did i hear that right from my napa lady? the regular price is $200 per side they're saying at NAPA for my 1996 V6, with my discount they want $120 per side plus cores, plus $55 per side for the slider brackets... this is going to make for a real expensive brake change this time around.

Unfortunately when i did my rear rotors and pads a couple weeks ago, i butchered my calipers (first time EVER changing rear pad on any car, always been drums and shoes). I figured hey, the front was easy so should the back. Well after 3 hours, a hammer, a couple new C clamps, someone walked in and asked what i was doing. And i'm glad that they then informed me that they had to rotated inwards . So then i went out to CT and got their rear caliper tool, but it wasn't quite the right one i guess, and i ended up modifying that, and now there's not much for the tool to get pressed into to rotate the piston.
I figure i might as well buy new then have to hit up all the scrap yards and knowing my odds find 2 siezed calipers. I'll throw out a WTB for some on here, but i'm not hopeful.

Anybody else name a place i can get a better/specific tool for next time i do rotors and pads? i'd assume ford, but i also assume it would be $99 knowing them. Thx
Old 08-27-2008, 05:07 PM
HELP SUPPORT CMOC. DONATE!

Check this out....

Summit's Ford Racing rear caliper kits, and it INCLUDES pads (CLICK HERE)

A better deal, but just have to wait the 5-21 days for shipping. Normally it only takes 5-7 days, but around Christmas its more like 21 days.
Good luck hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:11 PM
CMOC Addict

wow that seems real cheap compared to the Napa stuff, has the brackets on it and everything...
a)would it work on my V6? not sure if the GT's have larger brakes then my little 3.8 has, and if those cobra ones would fit my 'lil 7.5" axle.
b) would the cobra brakes fit inside my 15's i run in the early spring and late fall (store the car on 15's to) I try to run my 17's in the summer, but haven't got them on yet :S
c) i'd assume being cobra brakes they'd work better then my stockers, would having the extra braking force on the rear screw up anything, and can i run my rotors i just bought for the stock rear calipers in those cobra brakes?

if i switched those over now, i wouldn't mind getting the front set in the spring (don't have the $$$ to get them(fronts) now)
Old 08-28-2008, 07:54 AM
CMOC Elite

You can get brand new OEM calipers from the Ford dealer for $132.69 each, that is retail price.

cheers
Ed N.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:03 PM
CMOC Addict

would i have to give them a core for that price? b/c i plan on getting the calipers then taking them to my buddies shop and having him put them on at night... so cores are going to be a problem, as i plan to have the box of calipers AND the originals on the car at the same time for at least a day
Old 08-29-2008, 09:05 AM
CMOC Elite

That is an exchange price. Although they are brand new calipers, Ford is trying to generate cores for their reman. parts program. The cores can always be returned later (within 30 days usually) for the credit.

cheers
Ed N.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:04 PM
CMOC Addict

i see, thanks!
Old 09-04-2008, 11:56 AM
CMOC Newbie

Check out RockAuto for the parts you need! We often beat Napa on price. We ofer Ground Canada Shipping where the duty is included in the shipping charge and the GST will show up in the "Tax" line.

Just another option when your looking for a parts!
Old 09-04-2008, 11:09 PM
CMOC Addict

thanks i'll keep you in mind next time, but it's going into the shop tomarrow, my water pump or WP gasket puked out on me on the way home tonight :S so it's going to get new calipers, installed, figure out my coolant leak and fix it, new accessory belt, coolant flush while they're at it, tranny and rear diff oil while they're at it... just in time to put it away in a couple weeks
Old 09-12-2008, 10:12 PM
CMOC Addict

finally got my car back, it was puking coolant out so took it to the shop, needed new rad, so got that installed, pressure test also showed pin hole in timing chain cover :S flushed system and added "bars"?? something that plugs tiny holes in the coolant system, (temp. fix until i have a couple extra bucks to pay for new timing chain cover + labor)they ran it, sat it overnight, came back and then my waterpump leaked overnight, so they ran it this morning and it was leaking, so since it had to come off i had them put a new waterpump on (preventative maintainence) since it has 100k on the rebuild. And while that was off had a new thermostat put on for preventative maintainence and a temp sensor that got mangled while mechanic was fixing (no cost for the sensor). Also while in the shop had them throw on my rear calipers and rotors/pads. The old calipers were fubarred after my poor attempt at clamping them in with c-clamps, only to find out the pistons spin in :S
so there was a lesson learned with that.
found out the reason the e-brake didn't work was because they were messed up internally in the caliper, so attached that and it works on the new calipers

and to top it off they were doing undercoating in the bay beside it and somehow got undercoating on the paint so when i went to pick it up, they had washed and waxxed it quick to.

So now that my car is back into tip top shape, i'm throwing my GT rims/G Force sport tires on it for a couple weeks b/c i haven't had them on this season :S just in time to store it in a couple weeks :S

Quick Reply: New rear calipers really $200?